- Cycle Friendly
- Picnic spot
Open Victoria Day weekend through September. Wellington Heritage Museum is located in the heart of the village of Wellington. It was built in 1885 as a Quaker Meeting House and now features exhibits on local history. Highlights include a tribute to the Quakers or “Society of Friends” who played a notable role in the County’s development. In addition, the Douglas A. Crawford Canning Industry Collection conveys the importance of that industry in Prince Edward County. There were over 75 different canning factories operating here between 1882 and 1996. Wellington Heritage Museum is a bicycle friendly site. Wellington Heritage Museum welcomes: Bus Tours School Visits Volunteers If booked in advance, the museum can also provide walking tours of the village of Wellington for groups.
Quinte Educational Museum & Archives (QEMA) Celebrating the History of Education in the Quinte Area The Montgomery Family has generously donated the 1904 `Victoria Schoolhouse` to be used as the new, permanent home for QEMA`s extensive collections. We are currently located in the former Ameliasburgh Council Chambers at 13 Coleman Street in Ameliasburg, with our century-old Victoria Schoolhouse on location at the Ameliasburgh Heritage Village. We are open daily for the season from the Victoria Day Weekend until Labour Day Weekend from 9:30 am to 4:30 pm. Closed Mondays and Tuesdays. The Archives are open on Monday mornings. Appointments may be arranged outside these times by calling our office at 613-966-5501. Visit our website for details.
Victoria School (museum)Quinte Educational Museum & Archives (QEMA) Celebrating the History of Education in the Quinte Area
517 County Rd 19, Ameliasburgh, Ontario
Sir John A. Macdonald lived in Prince Edward County during his youth and early career. As a youth, John lived for three years at Glenora, where his father operated a grist mill. Later the family moved to Kingston, but in 1833, Macdonald returned to the Picton area to take over a law practice for his ailing cousin, winning his first case at Picton Court House. See: www.macdonaldproject.com Sculpture Internationally recognized Ruth Abernethy was selected to sculpt a bronze portrait of the young John A. practicing law for the first time in Hallowell. This life-sized statue of Sir John A. as a young lawyer, is in downtown Picton. There is the added bonus of having a courtroom bench where you can have pictures taken. Exhibit Also see on exhibit at Macaulay Heritage Park in Picton: “Always a Quinte Boy: Yours Truly, John A. Macdonald” This exhibition outlines Macdonald’s early years and specifically his many connections to Prince Edward County. Created to mark the bicentennial of Macdonald’s birth. Sir John A. Macdonald Heritage Trail The Sir John A. Macdonald Heritage Trail project was initiated in 2015, during the bicentennial year of Canada’s first Prime Minister. In early 2018, 14 interpretive panels, located in Prince […]
The gem of Waupoos, Rose House has survived since the early 1800s with few alterations, inhabited by several generations of the Rose family. Peter Rose arrived in Prince Edward County among first Marysburgh settlers, made up largely of United Empire Loyalists and Hessian (German) soldiers who had fought for the British in the American Revolution. According to tradition, Rose House is constructed from salvaged timber from the community’s original Lutheran Church. Peter and his wife, Christiana Bongard, raised a large family in this modest farmhouse. Rose House Museum welcomes: Bus Tours School Visits Volunteers If booked in advance, the museum can also provide tours of the nearby Rose Cemetery for groups. Special events include: Annual Fish Fry Oktoberfest German Dinner
Rose House MuseumA Loyalist homestead, Rose House has survived since the early 1800s with few alterations.
3333 Cty. Rd.#8 Waupoos Ontario
There are picnic facilities here, the impressive mill dam, as well as the historic Scott`s Mill (closed). Facilities: Comfort Station | Fishing | Photo Spots | Picnic Areas See details at Quinte Conservation > Conservation Lands Also see the Village of Milford.
Mariners Park Museum explores the many ways the inhabitants of Prince Edward County have earned their living from the surrounding waters from fishing and ship building through ice harvesting and rum running. The lighthouse relocated from False Duck Island beckons visitors to the site, where they can also explore Fort Kente and enjoy a picnic in the park. More than 50 shipwrecks have been located in the waters surrounding Prince Edward County and the Mariners Park Museum has become the home of many treasures retrieved during early diving expeditions. Local tips: The Mariner’s Museum holds war time artifacts, racing memorabilia, treasures from a variety of sunken ships and history of prohibition rumrunners. If you like local history this is a must see. Annual events: Mariner’s Park birthday bash (July) Dog Days of Summer (August) Mariner’s Service (September) Mariners Park Museum welcomes: Bus Tours School Visits Volunteers If booked in advance, the museum can also provide walking tours of the nearby village of Milford for groups. Also see: Shipwreck diving Local lighthouses
2065 County Road 13 South Bay Milford Ontario
The Marilyn Adams Research Centre, at Ameliasburgh, Ontario is the only free standing Genealogical Research Centre in Canada. Visit the library in person to research your family genealogy, access our databases online, or request help from our volunteers. Searchable Names Database Online: an index to over 1.1 million names from genealogies in the library. Heal Database: an index to 147,760 names in the Heal Collection.
528 County Rd. 19, Ameliasburgh Ontario
Macaulay Heritage Park is an attractive historic site featuring many points of interest: Macaulay House, built in 1830 and restored to the mid 1850s; the historic former Church of St. Mary Magdalene, now the Prince Edward County Museum; the old St. Mary Magdalene Parish Cemetery; the Heritage Gardens and the Carriage House. Reverend William Macaulay was originally sent to this area as a missionary. In 1823 he organized the Parish of Hallowell, donating the land for the church and paying for much of its construction from his own personal wealth. Reverend Macaulay’s contributions to the community were not only spiritual, but civic—donating his property for the construction of both a school and a courthouse; the latter has been in use since 1831. Macaulay was also instrumental in the naming of the town of Picton. Macaulay was also instrumental in the naming of the town of Picton. Macaulay Heritage Park welcomes: Bus Tours School Visits Volunteers Site Rentals Filming & Photography on Site Take a virtual tour of the museum, or see many of the museum’s artifacts that have been digitized and shared online.
Macaulay Heritage ParkHistoric site with Macaulay House, former Church, Heritage Gardens and Carriage House.
35 Church St., Picton Ontario
The Loyalist Parkway, “your route through history.” The Loyalist Parkway (Hwy #33) follows a pioneer colonial route on which the first segments were built two hundred years prior. The route connects several historical settlement sites in Prince Edward County, continuing east through Bath to what is now Kingston. While driving the Loyalist Parkway, experience some of Ontario’s best boutique shopping, countless studios and galleries, quaint inns, homegrown B&B’s, and fabulous restaurants and cafés. There are over 40 listed archaeologic sites and at least 125 notable heritage buildings adjacent to the Parkway. A one meter wide paved shoulder has been provided for cyclists along its length.
Hwy 33 Prince Edward County
There are 6 lighthouses on Lake Ontario in Prince Edward County. All of these lighthouses may be at risk of being lost. Some of them have been declared surplus by Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO). All of these lighthouses have heritage value and meet the Federal Government’s Criteria for Heritage Lighthouse Designation as well as the Ontario Government’s Criteria for Determining Cultural Heritage Value or Interest under the Ontario Heritage Act. See details at http://countylive.ca/blog/?p=16839 Shown above: Lighthouse at Long Point NEW! Lighthouses of Prince Edward County. Packed with vintage photos, some never seen before, plus maps and lightkeepers’ personal stories. Available at CountyMagazine.ca $30.
Prince Edward County, Ontario
History Lives Here Inc. provides a range of professional communication services to assist businesses, industry associations and community heritage organizations to celebrate their history during anniversary years. We’re storytellers. We tell old stories to new audiences using modern technologies. Most businesses, organizations and communities have a rich history. But it is often hidden within archival records, artifacts and collections. This lost history can be transformed into “popular” history that engages audiences and is available to them in contemporary multimedia formats – as limited edition, commemorative DVD and book sets available online. In turn, these products can become the centerpieces of events and activities to celebrate significant anniversary years whether it’s the 50th birthday of a company or industry trade organization, or the 250th birthday of a community. Let us tell your stories…. before they are lost to Time.
74 West Mary St. Picton Ontario
Graveyard & Gallows Walking Tour Friday nights in Picton (July & August) 6:30 p.m. 1.5 hours walking tour through the grounds and graveyard at Macaulay Heritage Park, venturing on to the neighbouring County Gaol & Gallows, the site of a most notorious double hanging in 1884. Graveyard & Gallows Tours are booked through the Regent Theatre 224 Main St. Picton 613.476.8416 www.theregenttheatre.org Walking Tours of Historic Picton (July 4 – Oct 28, 2018) Let experienced guides take you on a 90-minute journey back in time. Re-live the heady days of tall ships, sail and steam, when Picton was a major shipping port exporting its timber and agricultural produce to world markets. Hear the stories from the 1830s, when Sir John A. Macdonald, Canada’s first prime minister, walked these streets as a young lawyer. And later, when we smuggled booze across Lake Ontario during the dangerous days of Prohibition and the rum-running trade. Tours leave from the Regent Theatre, 226 Main St. Picton Wednesdays to Sundays, tours leave twice daily at 9.30-11 a.m. and 4-5.30 p.m. Historical Walking Tour of Loch Sloy (Camp Picton) July 20, July 23, August 6, August 17, August 20, 2018 @ 1.30-3.30 p.m. Loch Sloy – aka Camp […]
These “Heritage Walking Tours of Picton” were published in 1999 by the Heritage Advisory Committee. Heritage_Committee_Barker_Wilson_walking_tour Introduction to the Iron Men of Picton – Barker and Wilson. Lot 1 was purchased by Abraham Barker in 1805. He and his brother were partners in a grist mill. His son David was a merchant, elected to first Picton council, Postmaster 1848 until his death in 1872, and started the Barker Foundry on Elizabeth Street. Heritage_Committee_Macaulays_Picton_Walking_Tour Following the American Revolution, Lots 22, 21 and half of 20 (500 acres) were granted to Lieutenant Moore Hovendon U.E. Robert Macaulay purchased the land at a Sheriff’s sale in 1790. His son Edward inherited it in 1800. Heritage_Committee_Pictons_FergusonsPartofTown_walking_tour A clan of Fergusons stayed loyal to King George during the American Revolution. Four were officers, one was a sergeant, and six were privates. Arra Ferguson, ten years old when the Declaration of Independence was passed in 1776, served in Roger’s King Rangers and he and his wife were given Lot A (100 acres).
Experience County culture through food, history, and art. These getaway packages and cultural exploits are sure to enrichen and deepen your understanding of our region. Native & European Culture at Jacksons Falls Country Inn in Milford Experience the fusion of European and First Nations cultures in the dining room and décor. Jackson Falls Country Inn was established in 1870 as a one-room public school house, now renovated into a dining room, bar and guest lounge. More info } Beyond organic. Beyond terroir. at Black River B&B, Black River Savour a gourmet breakfast in our dining room overlooking the river. Where possible, all ingredients are fresh from the farm, seasonal, local, sustainable and organic. Our inspired breakfasts are inventive, flavourful, nutritious and individually baked. Your hosts Conrad Biernacki and Brian Musselwhite are recently retired from the Royal Ontario Museum. Both have extensive knowledge about art and antiques. More info } You may also be interested in … » More Getaway Experiences to Remember « Romantic Getaways ☆ Nature Retreats ☆ Foodie Delights ☆ County Culture ☆ Group Gatherings ☆ Action & Adventure Vacations ☆ Girls Getaways ☆ Lakeside Escapes ☆ Spa Packages Foodies Delight : Eat and drink your way around the County with these Foodie […]
Carrying Place is a community that serves as the gateway to Prince Edward County. Situated just south of Trenton, it was named for its location on the portage between the Bay of Quinte and Weller’s Bay on Lake Ontario. The Loyalist Parkway passes through the community. Carrying Place is home to the Department of National Defence’s LPH-89 antenna farm attached to CFB Trenton and located along Loyalist Parkway south of Twelve O’clock Point. Of considerable historical importance, Carrying Place or the Portage was thought to have a better future than Toronto when water transport was the principal means of travel. Situated on the narrow neck of land separating the western terminus of the Bay of Quinte from Weller’s Bay on Lake Ontario, it was a thriving community in the 1800′s. Both ends of the old portage route were well-developed to accommodate the needs of the tired traveler. Used for centuries by the Indians, Champlain rested here in 1615. A stone cairn commemorates the signing of the Gunshot Treaty of 1787. (It was by this treaty that the Mississauga Indians relinquished to the Crown all of their lands stretching from the Bay of Quinte westerly to the Etobicoke River, including the City […]
Canadian Forces Base Picton (CFB Picton) was a military installation located on a high plateau overlooking Picton, Ontario. The base was active from the Second World War to 1969 and served the Royal Air Force, Royal Canadian Air Force and Canadian Army. Today the site functions as the Picton Airport and Loch Sloy Industrial Park. The base and Point Petre (bombing & artillery range) were also used to film Dieppe (1993) a TV movie by Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC). Reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CFB_Picton
Ameliasburgh Heritage Village has grown from one building, in 1968, to a full pioneer village. The main structure was built in 1868 as a Wesleyan Methodist Church. It became a United Church in 1925 and served the community until 1967. Over the years, several additional buildings have been added to the site. A log cabin, display barns, an operational blacksmith shop, a sap shanty, dairy and bee-keeping buildings, and a large stone building housing the Goldie Corliss 18 foot flywheel. A highlight is Amelia’s Tea Room, which offers breakfast and/or lunch during Special Events on site. Upcoming Events in 2017: June 10-11 – Grandparents Weekend, 9:30-4:30. Celebration of generations, grandparents admitted free. Sept 3 – Homestead Heritage Days, 12-4. Heritage skills, demonstrations, blacksmith, corn roast. Dec 3 – Christmas in the Village. Tour around Ameliasburgh Village. Decorate Christmas cookies and evergreens; authentic settler Christmas at Museum’s log cabin; crafts and activities at Victoria Schoolhouse. Free, 1-4pm. Admission by donation. 476-2148 ext.258, [email protected] Ameliasburgh Heritage Village welcomes: Bus Tours School Visits Volunteers If booked in advance, the museum can also provide walking tours of the village of Ameliasburgh for groups.
The Historical Archives for the County of Prince Edward are manned by volunteers and members of the Prince Edward Historical Society. Our mission is to classify, safeguard, index and catalogue materials that are in held in the public’s trust. All holdings are open to perusers free of changer, subject to legal limitations. From September until June, the Archives are open to the public on Thursday and Friday from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. During the months of July and August, the Archives are open to the public Monday to Friday from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. 30 East Street behind the Wellington Library Wellington Ontario
30 East Street, Wellington, Ontario
Naval Marine Archive – the Canadian CollectionLibrary and book store: yachting, marine, aeronautical, military, local history.
The Victory, 205 Picton Main Street, Picton, Ontario