These “Heritage Walking Tours of Picton” were published in 1999 by the Heritage Advisory Committee.
Introduction to the Iron Men of Picton – Barker and Wilson. Lot 1 was purchased by Abraham Barker in 1805. He and his brother were partners in a grist mill. His son David was a merchant, elected to first Picton council, Postmaster 1848 until his death in 1872, and started the Barker Foundry on Elizabeth Street.
Following the American Revolution, Lots 22, 21 and half of 20 (500 acres) were granted to Lieutenant Moore Hovendon U.E. Robert Macaulay purchased the land at a Sheriff’s sale in 1790. His son Edward inherited it in 1800.
A clan of Fergusons stayed loyal to King George during the American Revolution. Four were officers, one was a sergeant, and six were privates. Arra Ferguson, ten years old when the Declaration of Independence was passed in 1776, served in Roger’s King Rangers and he and his wife were given Lot A (100 acres).