Sir John A. Macdonald lived in Prince Edward County during his youth and early career. As a youth, John lived for three years at Glenora, where his father operated a grist mill. Later the family moved to Kingston, but in 1833, Macdonald returned to the Picton area to take over a law practice for his ailing cousin, winning his first case at Picton Court House. See: www.macdonaldproject.com
Internationally recognized Ruth Abernethy was selected to sculpt a bronze portrait of the young John A. practicing law for the first time in Hallowell. This life-sized statue of Sir John A. as a young lawyer, is in downtown Picton. There is the added bonus of having a courtroom bench where you can have pictures taken.
Also see on exhibit at Macaulay Heritage Park in Picton: “Always a Quinte Boy: Yours Truly, John A. Macdonald”
This exhibition outlines Macdonald’s early years and specifically his many connections to Prince Edward County. Created to mark the bicentennial of Macdonald’s birth.
Sir John A. Macdonald Heritage Trail
The Sir John A. Macdonald Heritage Trail project was initiated in 2015, during the bicentennial year of Canada’s first Prime Minister. In early 2018, 14 interpretive panels, located in Prince Edward County, Quinte West, Belleville, Lennox and Addington, and Kingston, will be erected at sites that played an important role in his personal and political life, and will pay tribute to Sir John A. Macdonald’s strong ties to this region.
Sites featured in the Trail include:
Prince Edward County
- Macaulay Heritage Park
- Glenwood Cemetery
- Hillier Town Hall
- Lake on the Mountain
- Murray Canal
- Riverfront Trail, Belleville City Hall
- Glanmore National Historic Site
Lennox and Addington
- Fairfield-Gutzeit House
- UEL Heritage Centre and Park
- Napanee Train Station
- Napanee Courthouse
- Macpherson House
- Cataraqui Cemetery