One of the few surviving art-deco movie houses in Ontario, Picton’s downtown Regent Theatre is host to a variety of plays, musicals and art movie screenings throughout the year. First run movies and an international satellite feed round out the offerings of The Regent, making it a diverse venue that truly reflects the community.
Check out the The Regent Theatre Playbill, Movies and Cinefest for the latest updates, tickets and show times.
Free family movies are featured on the last Sunday of each month. theregenttheatre.org
History of the Regent Theatre
History of the Regent Theatre, video courtesy of History Lives Here
The Regent is a rare example of a still intact Edwardian opera house.
It opened in 1918 in a renovated warehouse. It featured films and an orchestra. In 1922 the facade was changed, and the interior was renovated to fit 1,100 seats! The addition of a 70-foot loft tower at the rear of the building accommodates backdrops for quick scene changes. It remains the largest “fly stage” between Toronto and Montreal and is equivalent to the one at the Royal Alex Theatre in Toronto. The new and larger marquee was added in the 1940s.
The Regent Theatre has struggled to remain relevant to today’s audiences. It was open sporadically from 1972 to 1983 and closed in 1983. During that time, many community theatres closed permanently. In 1994, forward-thinking community members formed the Regent Theatre Foundation and have worked hard to renovate this beautiful venue and to keep its doors open.
Today, the historic Regent Theatre is once again the centre for the arts in Prince Edward County. We are thankful to the original owners ~ the Cook family ~ and for the many volunteers and sponsors for their vision and continued efforts.