WINE * DINE * STAY * PLAY…….October 2017
It’s OCTOBER in the County!! Just before the flowers go, before the land is buried in snow, there comes a festive season when nature is all aglow!
Spend a weekend exploring The County’s rich arts and culture scene amid the spectacular canopy of autumn. Relax and rejuvenate at one of the fine inns and spas, savour a dinner handcrafted by an acclaimed chef, or a wine tasting of the exceptional wines.
Sunrise Cottage Resort :: a Waterfront Resort with Luxury Cottages and a sparkling clean outdoor heated pool. Ideal for family vacations or group events and reunions.
Jacksons Falls Country Inn :: Girlfriends Getaway • Group getaways • Authentic native fare • Public house • Live music series.
Black River Bed & Breakfast :: Waterfront adult-only B&B in a park-like sanctuary. Unique gourmet dinners.
Wine Tour Packages with Sandbanks Vacations & Tours :: Stay & Play Packages • Half Day Tours • Lunch & Wine Tours • Group or Corporate Packages
Merrill Inn :: A classic country inn in the heart of Picton. Girlfriend Getaways – Seasonal Packages – Fine Dining.
isaiah tubbs resort & conference centre :: Dining & Getaway packages • Family vacations • Weddings • Retreats • Conferences. Waterfront restaurant, sandy beach, pool & watersport activities.
The Manse Boutique Inn and Spa :: The Manse is the perfect place just to relax and recoup • Food Packages • Wine Tour Packages • Day Spa Packages – in house RMT
The Wexford House :: Spectacular, historic 13 room vacation rental in Picton. A perfect venue for Family Gatherings • Group Reunions • Small Weddings • Girlfriends Getaways • Meetings & Retreats.
Reservations are recommended during the busy season, for your convenience the Accommodation Availability Chart provides a quick view of accommodation vacancies. Check the chart }
Scarecrow Festival ~ Sat October 7 & Sun October 8 at Small Pond Arts, 337 Clarke Rd Picton. Join us Thanksgiving weekend for our annual Scarecrow Festival and make your own scarecrow to take home. read more }
Pumpkinfest ~ Sat October 14 in Wellington. A wonderful wacky festival of pumpkins. Pumpkinfest features a fun-filled parade along Wellington Main Street, followed by a great pumpkin weigh-off. read more }
Homegrown County Craft Brewing Festival ~ Sat October 21 at the Crystal Palace in Picton. The County’s first festival celebrating local growers, markers, and tasters of craft beer & cider in the #GCA (Greater County Area). Bringing together brewers, farmers, and families to toast the harvest season. read more }
- Hallowe’en Party in Cherry Valley ~ Fri October 27 at Athol Town Hall. read more }
- Haunting in the Hamlet ~ Sat October 28 in Consecon. A harvest & Hallowe’en celebration. The day’s events are free to all – Visitors welcome! read more }
- True Crime presented by Festival Players ~ Tue October 3 to Sat October 7 at The Storefront in Wellington. In True Crime, iconic musician, actor and provocateur Torquil Campbell (co-frontman of the band Stars) investigates and impersonates real-life con-man Clark Rockefeller in a mind-twisting performance that confronts our cultural addiction with a good story. read more }
- Deborah Kimmett in The Year of The Suddenly ~ Thu October 19 at The Regent Theatre. Part Stand Up, Part Eulogy, All Out Funny! Life is full of “suddenlies”. One minute we think our lives are going one way, then Suddenly, we’re spun in the complete opposite direction. A fundraiser for Hospice Prince Edward. read more }
- Veronica’s Room presented by PE Community Theatre ~ October 21, 22, 27, 28 and 29 at Mount Tabor Community Playhouse, Milford. This spine chilling thriller is by the author of Rosemary’s Baby. read more }
- Free Family Movie ~ Sun October 29 @ 2pm at The Regent Theatre. read more }
- Tommy Youngsteen – North America’s premiere Bruce Springsteen Tribute! ~ Sat October 7 at The Regent Theatre. read more }
- QEMA Music Night ~ Wed October 18 featuring Jennifer Brant & Friends at Wellington Town Hall. Free admission, refreshments, donations accepted for Quinte Educational Museum & Archives. read more }
- Kim Doolittle at Stache on Main ~ Fri October 20. “Kim has shared the stage with many famous and infamous people from Jeff Healey to Serena Ryder and Rita MacNeil, and worn many musical hats, finally making herself at home with a sound married in roots blues, folk and a hint of alternative country.” read more }
- Green River Revival ~ Sat October 21 at The Regent Theatre. Don’t miss “Green River Revival”, the worlds’ #1 international tribute to the legendary CCR. read more }
- Roblin Lake Jamboree and Open Mic ~ Saturday October 21 @ 1-4 pm at Ameliasburgh Town Hall. Come out and perform – instrumental and/or vocals, country, rock, jazz or blues…read more }
Also check out the live music at County venues
- Mini Art Show at The Local Store (West Lake) ~ Sun Oct 1 to Wed Oct 11 featuring Ilona Mayer. DISCOVER COUNTY MADE Fine Art • Jewelry • Pottery • Music • Books • Food Products • Photography • Quilts and Fabric Art • Wood Working Mini Art Shows. read more }
- Arts on Main Gallery invites you to visit their fall show “Imagine” running until Monday, November 13th. Explore a unique collection of original artwork created by 25 of our county artists. read more }
- Oeno Gallery is pleased to present an intimate exhibition of paintings by the much loved Canadian folk artist, Maud Lewis (1903-1970). This exhibition is now open and will continue until November 6. Text Message will also continue until November 6. read more }
- Join photographer Tara Wilkinson at her new solo exhibition at TerraCello Winery ~ September 28 to October 22. Land, Sea and … Skye Photographs of Scotland is her latest collection celebrating not only her love of photography, but her love of Scotland’s astounding beauty, culture and people. read more }
- Join us for fall Programs at Baxter Arts Centre in Bloomfield, a community space for arts, education and creativity. Fall workshops include: Open Studio creative hands, Yin Yang Yoga, Medical Qigong workshops, Pre-school music, Mineral Paint your furniture, smART CLUB Saturday morning art for children, Dance for Everyone, Life drawing, Country Western dancing, Paint with Kato, Glassblowing, Clay Hand Building. read more }
Follow the Arts Trail to meet talented artists and gallery owners in modern galleries, rustic barn studios and everywhere in between. artstrail.ca
To learn more about local arts & cultural events, sign up for the PEC Arts Council’s newsletter Artscene. www.pecartscouncil.org
- One-Stop (Christmas) Shopping ~ Tue October 10 @ 1:00 pm – 3:00 pm at Athol Town Hall in Cherry Valley. Start your Christmas Shopping early!!! Over 18 vendors are coming together to sell their wares. Light snacks will be available for purchase. read more }
- QEMA’s Treats, Treasures & Crafts Show ~ Sat October 21 @ 9:30 am to 4:30 pm at Bloomfield Hall. An amazing array of artisanal crafts, hard to find treasures, and delectable treats. All donations support the Quinte Educational Museum and Archives. read more }
- Christmas Market at The Local Store (West Lake) ~ Fri October 27 to Mon October 30. Special Christmas Market 4 days. Visit our historical century barn filled with original, local merchandise from the County’s creative artists, artisans, authors, food producers and musicians. read more }
- Local Farm & Artisan Markets are open until mid-October: Milford on Saturdays, Wellington on Saturdays, Picton on Sundays. read more }
- County Marathon ~ Sun October 1. Join the 14th Annual County Marathon featuring a Boston qualifying full marathon, a half marathon for runners, walkers and wheeled athletes as well as a team challenge benefiting the Prince Edward County Memorial Hospital. read more }
- Fall Birding Events ~The Prince Edward Point Bird Observatory invites you to visit during Thanksgiving weekend for their Fall events. Saturday, October 7th and Monday, October 9th at the Long Point Road observatory take part in guided hikes, the ‘Big Sit Raptor Watch’ and Northern Saw Whet Owl banding. For complete details go to PEPtBO.ca
While you’re in the County, be sure to take a tour of the fall colours and stop along the way for fresh picked apples and fall veggies. Some favourite tour routes for fall foliage are Sandbanks Provincial Park, Lake on the Mountain Provincial Park, County Road 13 (from Richardson Lookout to Black River Cheese) – described as driving through a tunnel of trees, and Victoria Road in Ameliasburgh. Find maps, including cycling and motorcycle tour routes, at prince-edward-county.com/maps.
The farm market stands are overflowing with bounty this time of year. It’s the season for … Beets, Broccoli, Brussel Sprouts, Cabbage, Carrots, Cauliflower, Garlic, Leeks, Onions, Parsnips, Potatoes, Pumpkins, Radishes, Rapini, Spinach, Squash, Apples (fall), Grapes, Muskmelon, Pears, Plums, Watermelon. Check the farm market stands }
It’s grape harvest time in the vineyards. Join us at the wineries for harvest celebrations.
- Horse and Carriage Tours of Picton & Wellington ~ Walk on and Ride Guided Tour. No advance tickets – just walk up, and get on! Experience a little bit of local history while enjoying a ride on our 15 person trolley. read more }
- Horse and Carriage Wine Tour ~ Sat, October 7, 14 & 21 @ 2pm – 6pm. Experience Prince Edward County wineries in class! Enjoy a guided horse-drawn carriage while taking in the scenic beauty of the vineyards, shorelines and rich history of The County. read more }
- Thanksgiving Weekend Extravaganza ~ October 7 – 9 at Campbells Orchards. Pick your own apples & pumpkins, Fresh baking, and Pop-up Markets. Wagon rides run every weekend (Saturday, Sunday and Holiday Mondays) weather dependent until Halloween. The corn maze is open 7 days a week during the Fall, until October 31! read more }
La Dolce Vita Food to Share Fundraiser ~ Wed October 25. Food to Share 2017 Fundraiser Italian Night in the County at the Crystal Palace, Picton Italian inspired food and music. Local wine and beer. Dinner served family style. read more }
The Prince Edward Point Bird Observatory 2017 Fund Raising Dinner and Silent Auction ~ Sat October 28 at The Waring House. Mission Impossible? Tracking the fate of young Wood Thrushes in a fragmented landscape, a presentation by Dr. Bridget Stuchbury … read more }
- Countylicious ~ Friday November 3 until Sunday November 26
- The Maker’s Hand ~ November 3 to 5
- Judgement of Kingston ~ Sat November 4
- 26th Annual “Handmade” Christmas Craft Show ~ November 11 & 12
- Elks Local Ladies November Vendor Event ~ November 12
- Wassail the County ~ November 18 & 19, Nov 25 & 26, December 2 & 3
- Wassail by Candlelight ~ November 18, 25, December 2
- Firelight Lantern Festival ~ Sat November 18
- Consecon Santa Claus Parade ~ Sun November 19
- Bloomfield Festival of Lights ~ Fri November 24
- Festival of Trees ~ November 24 to 26
- Christmas Lights Tour of Picton by horse-drawn Carriage ~ Saturdays starting Nov 25
- Picton Santa Claus Parade ~ Sun November 26
- Live music, art workshops and more …Check details on the Prince Edward County calendar
Join us for seasonal celebrations, festivals and fairs …
- SIGN UP: Sign up to receive the newsletter by email. The Events Newsletter is published monthly – full of lively updates on What’s Happenin’ in the County. Sign up »
- ADVERTISE: Feature your business or event in the newsletter – reaching 16,000+/- subscribers. Details »
This newsletter is made with love in The County.