Are you looking for a fun, affordable and memorable escape? The County is a friendly rural community tucked into the “golden triangle” between Toronto, Montreal and Ottawa on the north shore of Lake Ontario.
Visitor Information Centres
Our island community has retained a unique character that evokes fond recollections of days long past. Picturesque country roads twist through historic towns and villages, countryside dotted with farms and vineyards, past artist studios and antique shops, and along shorelines that border the Bay of Quinte and Lake Ontario. The County in recent years has become a top culinary and winery destination. Visitors can also enjoy the local boutiques and the white dunes of Sandbanks Provincial Park. The County lifestyle is a mecca for artists, nature lovers and anyone looking for a beautiful island adventure … for a weekend break or for life.
Condé Nast Traveller’s Guide
EXPLORE the COUNTY
Every time you explore The County, you can expect a new adventure. Antiquing, shopping, museums, golf, cycling, theatre, festivals, boating, hiking and birding are just a few of the experiences in store for you. A must-visit while in Prince Edward County is Lake on the Mountain. Defying all geographical theory, Lake on the Mountain is one of Ontario’s greatest natural wonders. Explore the treasures of this bucolic gem by car, on foot, by bicycle or motorcycle. Or tour with a knowledgeable local guide and see what others miss!
One of Canada’s TOP 10 Places You’ve Got to See! MacLeans.ca 2014
- Sightseeing, Points of Interest http://prince-edward-county.com/cat/sightseeing/
- Guided Tours http://prince-edward-county.com/cat/guided-tours/ Winery tours, chartered fishing, brewery tours, boat excursions, walking tours and nature outings …
- Local Tips & Stories http://prince-edward-county.com/local/tips/
- Photo tour http://prince-edward-county.com/browse-photos/
EAT, SIP & Savour
Cycle or drive your way along the Taste Trail and Wine Route and tantalize your taste buds with local food and drink along the way. We celebrate our regional cuisine and wines with festivals and fairs and great places to dine, sample, sip and buy – from roadside stands to fine restaurants to wineries. Be sure to visit during the Countylicious event, our celebration of fine dining featuring prix fixe menus (April and November).
Just two hours east of Toronto, Prince Edward County offers a rustic retreat for food- and wine-loving city-dwellers.” zagat.com April 2015
- Wineries, Breweries, Cideries, Distillery, & Tours http://prince-edward-county.com/cat/breweries-wineries/
- Restaurants, Patios, Food trucks, Culinary & Wine Events … http://prince-edward-county.com/cat/taste/
- Shop our farm markets or pick your own! Prince Edward County was once known as the Garden Capital of Canada, providing more than a third of this Nation’s canned food. Food locally sourced is a way of life. Farm to Table, including cooking classes. http://prince-edward-county.com/cat/farm-to-table/
It’s yet another point of pride for Prince Edward County, which has become the gastronomic capital of Ontario — a fertile island bursting with vineyards, organic farms and a community of artists and chefs. Tucked into the “golden triangle” between Toronto, Montreal and Ottawa, it is the province’s newest Designated Viticultural Area, which helps identify the origin of a wine and its grapes.” (Globe & Mail)
A BEACH-Y experience
Sandbanks is among the largest and most beautiful beaches in Ontario, with golden sand and sparkling water. Camping, swimming, fishing, boating, sailboarding, birding, cycling, hiking and x-country skiing are popular recreational activities. At Sandbanks, you can have a great beach experience and it only takes about 2.5 hours to get here from Toronto or Ottawa. Plan ahead because this park is popular and parking and camping can be at a premium.
- Sandbanks Provincial Park http://prince-edward-county.com/item/sandbanks-provincial-park/
- Beaches & Watersports http://prince-edward-county.com/cat/beaches-watersports/
PEC Named One of the Most Swim-Friendly Spots in Canada! August 3. 2012 Tournament of Beaches: Day 4 – the most swim-friendly spots in Canada, National Post
Arrive by BOAT (or car, or free car ferry)
The County is surrounded by 800 km of shoreline offering a dozen or more sheltered harbours. Picton is just a one day cruise from either the Trent Severn Waterway, the Rideau Canal system, or the Thousand Islands. Fresh water game and commercial fish are plentiful in the interior lakes or bays surrounding The County. The Bay of Quinte, “Walleye Capital of the World”, is the main attraction. Several local businesses offer ice-fishing packages and accommodation packages.
- Boating & Fishing: http://prince-edward-county.com/cat/boating-marinas-fishing/
- If you don’t have a boat, you can also drive to The County. There are five entry points, providing easy access from the east and west. http://prince-edward-county.com/maps-directions/
- Travelers from Kingston can access Prince Edward County by Glenora Ferry on Highway 33 east (the scenic and historic Loyalist Parkway). This is a free car ferry. http://prince-edward-county.com/maps-directions/
Prince Edward County is the only Canadian destination named in “Best Places to Travel in 2015″ by Travel and Leisure Magazine
Browse the BOUTIQUES & ART STUDIOS
Whether it is finding the best deals on artisanal goods and local produce at small farm stands or exploring the boutiques and galleries and boutiques in towns like Bloomfield, Wellington and Picton, there is much shopping to be done in Prince Edward County.
From delightful boutiques to modern galleries and curios in the shed, you will find unique, often hand-crafted gifts and the most sought after designer labels and cheerful, welcoming retailers to help you with your purchase.
- Shops & Galleries: http://prince-edward-county.com/cat/shopping/
- County Products Showcase: http://prince-edward-county.com/showcase-local-products/
- Special Offers: http://prince-edward-county.com/special-offers/
Experience our LIVING HISTORY
Our heritage is evident everywhere – in the colonial architecture, heritage tour routes, events, and five museums. Prince Edward County is the second largest area of Loyalist architecture, second to Williamsburg. County ancestors that helped to shape this island community include farmers, mariners, millionaires, rum-runners and Canadian heroes including John A. Macdonald.
- History & Museums: http://prince-edward-county.com/cat/history-museums/
Ontario’s Prince Edward County is world-class touring country. HuffingtonPost.ca June 2016
Indulge in the ARTS SCENE
Indulge your love of things hand-crafted and real. The Arts Trail takes you around our beautiful countryside to discover workshops, studios and galleries in a range of settings. Purchase a unique work of art as a keepsake of your time in the County. Prince Edward County is proud to be the newest community to establish Barn Quilt Trails as part of a North American network of rural art. Come for a drive and explore our beautiful island community!
Cross Montauk, NY, with California’s Napa Valley circa 1970, and you get Prince Edward County, a tiny wine-producing region that’s becoming a haven for creative types.” Time Inc. Writer Nikki Ekstein of Travel and Leisure Magazine
- Arts Scene: http://prince-edward-county.com/cat/arts-scene
- Workshops- Get inspired by our County artists — unleash your creative potential. http://prince-edward-county.com/cat/workshops-arts-music-drama/
- Artists & Galleries http://prince-edward-county.com/cat/artists-galleries/
FESTIVALS you need to attend
From large food & wine festivals, art shows, and music festivals, and everything in between, you are in the right place. Prince Edward County is an ideal setting for year-round festivals including: Maple in the County, Countylicious, Terroir, The Great Canadian Cheese Festival, Art in The County, Lavender Festival, Jazz Festival, Prince Edward County Studio Tour, TASTE Community Grown, Sandbanks Music Festival, Comedy Country, The Maker’s Hand, and Wassail … just to name a few.
- Plan to catch a festival during your getaway http://prince-edward-county.com/happenings/festivals-celebrations/
- Calendar of Events http://prince-edward-county.com/events/
You’ll be ENTERTAINED
Prince Edward County is the home stage for a large, diverse group of talented musicians and songwriters. Live music regularly spills out at pubs, open mic nights, parks, barber shops, and music festivals.
The historic Regent Theatre shows movies and showcases live performances year round. Festival Players brings professional summer theatre for adults, families and children.
The County is also home of the annual Comedy Country Festival, and has its own comedy troupe “Taste That!”.
The books of local writers are promoted through the authors festivals, bookstore, libraries and radio station.
- Entertainment: http://prince-edward-county.com/cat/entertainment/
WEDDINGS & Special OCCASIONS
The County is a perfect location for your wedding or special event. Planning a destination wedding, wedding at the beach, or a wedding in a vineyard? The County has unique event venues, and we’re close to Toronto and Ottawa. Eclectic local food, PEC wine lists, craft cocktails, patios, vineyards, beaches and beautiful old barns …. any kind of event you want, right here in Prince Edward County, Ontario. The beautiful island adventure that’s so near – yet feels so far away. We have everything – and everybody – you need to plan a memorable event.
- Weddings & Special Occasions: http://prince-edward-county.com/cat/weddings-special-occasions/
Enjoy the NATURAL BEAUTY
`Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.` There are over a dozen conservation areas and three provincial parks throughout the County, providing photographic opportunities, cross-country skiing, picnic areas, restored historical sites, canoeing, kayaking, hiking, birdwatching, and more. The Canadian Nature Federation and Bird Studies Canada designated The County as an important global birding area (IBA) in 1998.
- Parks, Trails & Nature: http://prince-edward-county.com/cat/nature-parks-trails-birding/
Feel the vibe and energy in our NEIGHBOURHOODS
County residents enjoy a rural lifestyle with an urban flavour. Our island community of “neighbourhoods” — towns, villages, hamlets and rural areas – is interconnected by local civic pride.
- Communities: http://prince-edward-county.com/cat/communities/
Where to STAY
The County has many picturesque B&Bs and cozy places to stay. Accommodation owners also offer up a wealth of local knowledge for curious visitors. Many offer coupons for wine tasting and other attractions too. Reservations are recommended during July to September, and for weekends and special events.
- Find places to Stay http://prince-edward-county.com/cat/accommodation/
- Getaway Packages http://prince-edward-county.com/getaways/getaway-packages/
WHEN to visit
Most people come to The County in the summer – the weather is hot and it’s the perfect time to cool off at the beaches. Summer brings picnics, winery tours, camping, cottages, music festivals, art shows, craft shows, live theatre and historical walking tours …
If you prefer traveling when it’s less busy, the shoulder seasons offer their own attractions …
Fall is a wonderful season to visit The County. The beaches are quieter and harvest festivals abound. Enjoy fall colour tours, cycling, marathons, regional food celebrations, grape & apple harvesting, pumpkin festival, artist studio tours, and country fairs …
Winter: Welcome to our winter wine celebrations, winter carnivals, celebrations of all things winter. There are lots of winter-time activities to choose from! Cross country skiing, ice fishing, snowmobiling, hockey, curling and skating … Or, just cozy up by a roaring fire with some good food, good wine and good friends!
Spring We welcome spring with the first harvest of the season – maple syrup; spring birding migration; cultural festivals; food & wine markets; nature walks, garden tours and plant sales … For more information on visiting The County, look for the Red Map, Arts Trail / Taste Trail Guide and the Wine Map. Request your free Visitors Package http://prince-edward-county.com/site/visitor-information-package/
CONNECT with us
- Stay up-to-date on the latest events and special offers. We send out our e-newsletters once a month! http://prince-edward-county.com/site/newsletter-signup/
- Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lovethecounty/
- Share your County adventures on Instagram #peconca http://prince-edward-county.com/browse-photos/
SAVE $$ money $$ in The County
And last but not least, be sure to check out the Special Offers.