WINE * DINE * STAY * PLAY…….September 2017
It’s SEPTEMBER in the County!! September in the County is a feast for all the senses with celebrations of food, wine, art, music, heritage and more …
Find your perfect Getaway in the County.
Wine & Culinary Experiences, Rejuvenation Getaways, Romantic Hideaways, Family Fun and more …
Sunrise Cottage Resort :: a Waterfront Resort with Luxury Cottages and a sparkling clean outdoor heated pool. Ideal for family vacations or group events and reunions.
Jacksons Falls Country Inn :: Girlfriends Getaway • Group getaways • Authentic native fare • Public house • Live music series.
Black River Bed & Breakfast :: Waterfront adult-only B&B in a park-like sanctuary. Unique gourmet dinners.
Wine Tour Packages with Sandbanks Vacations & Tours :: Stay & Play Packages • Half Day Tours • Lunch & Wine Tours • Group or Corporate Packages
Merrill Inn :: A classic country inn in the heart of Picton. Girlfriend Getaways – Seasonal Packages – Fine Dining.
isaiah tubbs resort & conference centre :: Dining & Getaway packages • Family vacations • Weddings • Retreats • Conferences. Waterfront restaurant, sandy beach, pool & watersport activities.
The Manse Boutique Inn and Spa :: The Manse is the perfect place just to relax and recoup • Food Packages • Wine Tour Packages • Day Spa Packages – in house RMT
The Wexford House :: Spectacular, historic 13 room vacation rental in Picton. A perfect venue for Family Gatherings • Group Reunions • Small Weddings • Girlfriends Getaways • Meetings & Retreats.
Reservations are recommended during the busy season, for your convenience the Accommodation Availability Chart provides a quick view of accommodation vacancies. Check the chart }
- Homestead Heritage Days ~ Sunday Sept 3 @ 11-4 at Ameliasburgh Heritage Village. Heritage skills, demonstrations, blacksmith, corn roast. Bring your lawn chair and join us for corn on the cob and great village happenings. Fun for the whole family .. read more }
- Picton Fair ~ Sept 8 to 10 at Picton Fairgrounds. One of the oldest agricultural fairs in Canada. Demo Derby, Midway, Music, Professional Wrestling, Horse, Cow and Steer shows, Flowers & Vegetables, Tractor & Horse pulls … read more }
- Milford Fair ~ Saturday Sept 16 at Milford Fairgrounds. The biggest little fair in The County. 70+ Years and going strong, the Milford Fair is a lovely reminder of a simpler time and a true agricultural fair. read more }
- Ameliasburgh Fall Fair ~ September 30 to October 1 at Roblin Lake Fairgrounds in Ameliasburgh. At this great little country fair there are prizes for everything from pickles to pets to the best costume …read more }
- Wagon Rides & Corn Maze at Campbell’s Orchards. Wagon rides run every weekend (Saturday, Sunday and Holiday Mondays) weather dependent. We kick off our Wagon Ride season on September 4th (Labour Day) and they will run every week-end until Halloween. The maze is open 7 days a week from mid September until October 31! Visit us this Fall and do the Corn Maze Challenge! read more }
- Women Killing It Crime Writers’ Festival ~ Sept 1-2 at Prince Edward County Community Centre. Announcing a new crime writing festival – one that puts the spotlight on Canada’s talented women writers who work in the crime and mystery genre. read more }
- Steve Patterson headlines the Comedy Country series finale ~ Saturday Sept 23 at The Regent Theatre. As host of CBC Radio One’s wildly successful “The Debaters” since 2007, STEVE PATTERSON has become a household name, with more than 700,000 weekly listeners. read more }
- Festival Players is the County’s professional theatre company and a cherished part of County summers for more than ten years. Sit back, enjoy a glass of wine and let some of Canada’s finest theatre artists entertain you in unique County venues. Tickets & schedule at festivalplayers.ca
Stones in His Pockets. The last performance is September 3 in the Village Tent in Wellington. A fast-paced tragicomedy about a sleepy Irish County overrun by a Hollywood film crew, seen through the eyes of two local men employed as extras on the film. Cultures clash, egos reign, and fifteen minutes of fame comes at an enormous price.
Mary’s Wedding. The last performance is September 2 at The Storefront in Wellington. On the eve of her wedding, Mary Chalmers dreams of Charlie, her first love. Set in Western Canada during the First World War, the story of Mary and Charlie’s romance unfolds through a series of dreamlike memories, punctuated by the innocence of new love, the courage of youth and the cruelty of fate.
This year Festival Players Presents will extend our activities into the Fall and Winter months featuring an all-Canadian lineup. The series will kick off with a bang in September with:
The Harrowing of Brimstone McReedy ~ September 26 to October 1. An Eldritch Theatre Production, created and performed by Eric Woolfe at The Storefront, 310 Main Street Wellington.
- The Belle of Amherst ~ Sept 21 to 30 at Mount Tabor Community Playhouse in Milford. Not to be missed! Only 8 performances. American poet Emily Dickinson’s revolutionary and poetic voice is brought to life in this one-woman show. read more }
- Silent Movies at Baxter Arts Centre in Bloomfield ~ Thursday Sept 14 – The Iron Mask (1929) and Thursday Sept 28 – Children of Divorce (1927). Admission is free. Refreshments and popcorn are available for sale. Doors open at 7pm. Movie starts at 7:30pm.
- Free Family Movie ~ Sunday Sept 24 @ 2pm at the Regent Theatre. read more }
Thank you to our newsletter sponsor Picton Harbour Pontoon Tours.
- Free Concerts in Wellington Park ~ Saturday Sept 3 at 2pm – The Notables and Tuesday Sept 5 at 6pm – The Reasons. Join us for free concerts in the gazebo at Wellington Park. The Wellington Lions will have hot dogs and drinks available. Please bring your own chairs. Free will donations are accepted with net proceeds going to the Wellington Foodbank. In case of rain, concerts will be in the Wellington Town Hall.
- Paul James at Stache on Main in Wellington ~ Sept 7 & 8. read more }
- Red White & Blues ~ Sept 8 to 10. A weekend celebration of innovative local wine, food and music set among four of the most picturesque Prince Edward County Winery Estates. read more }
- Quarter Moon Coffee House ~ Thursday Sept 14 @ 7:30 pm. at Baxter Arts Centre in Bloomfield. This is an open stage concept, and you never know who is going to turn up on any given night. The stage is open to professional and amateur musicians alike, and the musical styles run the whole spectrum …
- PEC Music Festival ~ September 15 – 24. This is a festival with chamber music at its core, but always a bit of ‘extra’ in the program. Over the years, the list of Canadian classical musicians at the festival is a virtual Who Is Who of Canadian music. read more }
- Live 50s & 60s Rock n Roll Festival ~ Sept 15 to 17 in Cherry Valley. A Weekend of Live 50s & 60s Rock n Roll Music and dancing. Weekend Camping with large spacious sites. read more }
- Sandbanks Music Festival ~ Saturday Sept 16 at Sandbanks Provincial Park featuring Headliner GREAT LAKE SWIMMERS. read more }
- Roblin Lake Jamboree and Open Mic ~ Saturday Sept 16 @ 1-4 pm at Ameliasburgh Town Hall. Come out and perform – instrumental and/or vocals, country, rock, jazz or blues…read more }
- QEMA Music Night featuring Dave Bongard and Friends ~ Wednesday Sept 20 @ 7pm at Wellington Town Hall. Free admission, refreshments, donations accepted for Quinte Educational Museum & Archives. A fantastic evening of great music.
- Matt Mays w/ Ferraro at The Hayloft Dancehall ~ Sept 29, 30 and Oct 1. read more }
Also check out the live music at County venues
- Rednersville Road Art Tour ~ Sept 2 to 4. We have opened our homes and studios for this special weekend. All the work presented for sale is original and represents a variety of styles, media and prices. read more }
- Mini Art Shows at The Local Store at West Lake ~ Sun Sept 10 – Wed Sep 20: Judy Kent and Wed Sep 20 – Sun Oct 1: Judy Plomer. Discover County Made Fine Art • Jewelry • Pottery • Music • Books • Food Products • Photography • Quilts and Fabric Art • Wood Working. read more }
- Floralora Dahlia Centerpiece Workshop ~ Wednesday Sept 20 at Floralora Flower Farm, Milford. read more }
- PEC Studio Tour ~ Sept 22 – 24 @ 10 am to 5 pm. The Prince Edward County Studio Tour is one of the longest running and most diverse studio tours in Ontario. This year there are more than 35 artists in 28 locations. Visit their studios & galleries and experience a broad range of talent. read more }
- Oeno Gallery exhibition until Sept. 10 is “Oasis” titled after Burton Kramer’s lyrical hot pink and juicy orange Oasis No. 5, offers a revitalizing carouse. Selected works on exhibit include Paul Fournier’s exotic Jammin’ in the Aviary and an intensely atmospheric Kairoi No. 5 by Scott Pattinson. read more }
- PEFAC is hosting a Paint Nite Fundraiser ~ Friday Sept. 29 from 7:00-9:00pm located at the Centre. Check out www.paintnite.com
Join us for fall Programs at Baxter Arts Centre in Bloomfield, a community space for arts, education and creativity. Find out more }
Follow the Arts Trail to meet talented artists and gallery owners in modern galleries, rustic barn studios and everywhere in between. artstrail.ca
To learn more about local arts & cultural events, sign up for the PEC Arts Council’s newsletter Artscene. www.pecartscouncil.org
- Antique Fall Show & Sale ~ Sept 15 to 17 at Crystal Palace in Picton. A terrific three-day antiques show, one of the biggest in the region, with treasures on display indoors and outdoors at Picton’s Crystal Palace. read more }
- QEMA’s Treats, Treasures & Crafts Show ~ Saturday Sept 16 at Bloomfield Hall. An amazing array of artisanal crafts, hard to find treasures, and delectable treats. All donations support the Quinte Educational Museum and Archives. read more}
- The Picton Model Railroaders Annual Hobby Show ~ September 16 to 17 at the Curling Club at Picton Fairgrounds, presented by Picton Model Railroaders. Operating railway layouts, radio controlled boats, model aircraft and farm machinery, hobby vendors … read more }
- Annual Arts & Craft Sale ~ Saturday Sept 30 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Wellington on the Lake Recreation Centre. Come and shop from our many vendors (40 tables) and start your Christmas shopping early. Some items include knitted and woven pieces, table linens, baby blankets, children’s items, jewelry, bags & purses, dried soup, handmade soap and many more. Don’t forget to stop by the tea room for… read more }
- Local Markets are open until mid-October: Picton on Sundays, Milford on Saturdays, Wellington on Saturdays. read more }
- Grapes of Wrath Stomp ~ Saturday Sept 9 at Hillier Creek Estates. This 5K extreme run demands endurance to trek through hill and valleys, splash through winding streams, courage to overcome uncompromising obstacles and a complete lack of shame to sludge through dirt and mud all in the name of a good cause. read more }
- Open House Week at PEFAC ~ the week of Sept. 11th. All group fitness classes are free that week. We have a new Cardio Kickboxing class starting Sept. 12th at 6:00pm and Sept. 14th at 6:45pm. Kids Night is Sept. 14th from 4-8pm. Children can use the gymnastics room from 4-7pm and join public swim from 7-8pm. All events are Free to attend! Visit pefac.ca for details
- Armdrop Drag Racing ~ Saturday Sept 16 at Picton Airfield. Our group hosts drag racing, car & bike shows. We keep the old street racing spirit alive, no timing, no slips, armdrop start, race anyone you want! read more }
- Sandbanks Fall Getaway Fun Run ~ Monday Sept 18 at Sandbanks Provincial Park. Starting at the Park Store in the Outlet Beach sector of the park, the 5k and 10k runs allow participants to enjoy the park and lakeside scenery, and is a great fund-raiser for the Terry Fox Foundation. read more }
- Kiwanis Fall Colour Ride ~ Sunday Sept 24. 50k and 100k rides, and a 25k ride for those who just want a leisurely ride through a portion of beautiful Prince Edward County. read more }
- CCSage Fundraising Dinner ~ Friday Sept 15 at The Waring House. Fundraising dinner with a live and silent auction. read more }
- Summer Dinner at J.K. Farm with Karlo Estates wines ~ Saturday Sept 16. Working with the many talented individuals of the region, Chef Kennedy invites you to enjoy a delicious, harmonious food and wine experience… read more }
- Taste Community Grown ~ Saturday Sept 23 @ 11am to 5pm at Loch Sloy Hangars. New Location, New Vibe. Family Fun & Entertainment. Hang out with all your friends and family in a hangar! TASTE community grown is one of Prince Edward County’s most highly anticipated wine and culinary festivals and a gathering of the best food and drink purveyors the area has to offer, all in one place. read more }
- What’s In Season in September: Beans, Beets, Broccoli, Brussel Sprouts, Cabbage, Carrots, Cauliflower, Celery, Corn, Cucumbers, Eggplant, Garlic, Leeks, Lettuce, Onions, Parsnips, Peppers, Potatoes, Radishes, Spinach, Tomatoes, Zucchini. Check the farm market stands }
More Culinary Delights of the County… While you’re in the County, also check out
- Cram the Cruiser ~ Saturday Sept 9 @ 10:00 am to 2:00 pm. Prince Edward County OPP Auxiliary Cram the Cruiser Wellington Storehouse Foodbank Fundraiser, please bring a non-perishable food item to Pierson’s Wellington Foodland parking lot to help out your local foodbank. Foodland will also be selling $5 grocery bags full of items that you can purchase and donate.
- Veteran’s Day ~ Saturday Sept 23. Honouring all who serve. read more }
- Annual Mariner’s Service ~ Sunday Sept 24 @ 9:30 am at South Bay United Church. Only one of two mariners services left in Ontario, this one dates its origins back to the 1930s! Join us at the South Bay United Church to pay special tribute to those who work and play on County waters, and to those who have recently “crossed the bar.” read more }
- P.A. Day Camp at PEFAC is Friday Sept. 29th from 8:30-4:30pm. Cost is $30/day and the camp is for children aged 4-12. Contact us at pefac.ca to register.
- Picton Ultimate Road Rally ~ Saturday Sept 30 starting at the Prince Edward Curling Club. Show off your knowledge of Prince Edward County by solving clues taking you on a scenic tour of PEC. All proceeds will go to the Loyalist Humane Society. read more }
- County Marathon ~ Sun October 1
- Scarecrow Festival ~ October 7 & 8
- Saw-whet Owl Banding ~ October 1 to 31
- Guided Walks To the Lighthouse ~ October 7 & 9
- Pumpkinfest ~ October 14
- QEMA Music Night ~ October 18
- Deborah Kimmett in The Year of The Suddenly ~ Oct 19
- Dark Sky Viewing at PEPtBO ~ October 20
- Veronica’s Room – PE Community Theatre ~ October 21, 22, 27, 28 and 29
- Homegrown County Craft Brewing Festival ~ Sat October 21
- Christmas Market at The Local Store ~ Oct 27 to 30
- Live music, art & cooking workshops, and more …Check details on the Prince Edward County calendar
Join us for seasonal celebrations, festivals and fairs …